Devblog #21 Project Confrontation

Discussion in 'SOCOM Indie Projects' started by Eagle_F15, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Cookie

Welcome to Devblog #21 Project Confrontation Community!

On a mission!

We are making moves. I have been on a hunt to find passionate, creative and talented individuals who express interest in collaboration to help further our attempt in developing a solid third person shooter! We have added a experianced C# programmer and possibly one more in the very near future. We are in a comfortable and ready position to add more help, most of all asking for help. We are looking for honesty, confidence, experienced, team players and individuals who love shooters, especially a SOCOM style shooter! Chris, our first programmer, has played since SOCOM 2, how lucky could we have got with the first shot!? It felt like hitting that rusher trying to rush the bomb at the beginning of the round in Crossroads!

We are also looking to add two experianced 3D Modelers/Environment/Texture Artist. They will focus on creating the actual digital “objects” of the game, including buildings, vehicles, landscapes, characters, weapons and well, everything, a range of all assets and architecture, a jack of all trades for models. As they develop assets/models to assist the mappers we would also like to see them develop there own creative map for Project Confrontation, if they choose to!? I have noticed when searching for these artist, they dive into map making and/or other areas of the game when it comes to game development.

Interest is flowing in steadily, like I mentioned, we would like shooter fans, preferably SOCOM style shooter fans. It obviously narrows down our options but keeps the focus of development on our inspiration. The more you know about our direction and inspiration in SOCOM, the more our game plays and feels like SOCOM!

All in all, we are transitioning into a full fledged development team! I’m excited to grow, excited about our future and excited to get the ball rolling faster. The sooner we can get rolling, the sooner we can all G^ and play!

If interested in joining our team, please email us at projectc.tpsgame@gmail.com or message us on Twitter @ProjectC_tps

-Eagle

Programming/Engineers
    SourPatch

Misc
    Month of March was pretty busy for me, and I dont see April slowing down, so we brought another programmer on board in hopes of picking up my slack a bit. Between Aaron, Chris, and I, we make up over 30+ years of c# experience. This is really good news for not only the project, but for our “future” when it comes to finding potential investors for a PS4 release. I know that line probably sounds familiar, but I assure you my goal and the team’s goal first and foremost is making a half decent game. We are still a ways off before we are ready to look for investors, but I figured I would mention it since the amount of talent we are starting to scoop up is bound to break some necks.

Now let’s get into it.

Unity
    The team and I have decided to move away from the beta unity editor builds to more stable releases. We upgraded Unity, and the project to Unity 5.6. Its stable, fast, has a ton more features, and far less bugs than what we were working with in the past. We will likely be staying on 5.6 for a while. So far we have had no conflicts with the version change, and in fact it greatly improved performance of both the game, and our workflow. You can read more about Unity 5.6 here.

Characters
    Now that we have the base models for both a SEAL and Terrorist, thanks to Harry, I have started to recall the old swat character we were using as a placeholder. The new characters have a humanoid rig(inverse kinematic ready), and are setup in a way that literally allows us to copy and paste animation logic back and forth. Animation changes to one character instantly affect the other with no extra work.

Our next little project will be separating parts of the skin for customizable pieces of clothing for the characters, but dont expect this anytime soon, both Harry and I are backed up in other areas of the project at the moment.

Networking
    Since we started to roll out the new characters in the game, I had a chance to revisit some of the network code that was handled by the characters. Our player viewer script that was handling transform updates, AKA position updates got a pretty nice upgrade. You may have noticed from our gameplay video from back in October that when viewing movement from another player it would sometimes look extremely choppy, and players would rubberband a little. This bothered me to no end, so I started to rewrite/optimize this portion of the logic, and its much better than before. Animations look smooth, and even with relatively high pings the rubber banding is almost gone. This was mainly caused by certain RPC calls that would buffer many times over clogging the network stream and delaying position updates. Another issue was that I never actually incorporated the players ping into how much time it should take to smooth out a position update, it was just a static number that applies to all players regardless of ping.

As I continue to implement the character logic, I will be fixing many of the networking issues we experienced with the old build. Its an ongoing process, so I might have more on this next devblog.

HUD
    HUD logic has started to be implemented with the new characters, so far the logic supports health, weapon, fire rate, and mag amount. I had Rev make a few different crosshairs that will be dependant on the weapon type being used, and I plan to finish adding those images to the weapon database soon, along with equipment quick slot item, and mini map.

UI
    Rev has been pushing out his UI designs far faster than I can implement them. With that said, welcome to the team Chris! I will be passing the torch over to him, and he will be responsible for finishing up the implementation for all the server side UI logic, as well as completing the in unity designs for the UI.

I only had a chance to do about half of the main menu and about 20% of the room lobby design, so he definitely has his work cut out for him.

CodeReaper

Hello friends of Project Confrontation. My name is Chris (aka Code Reaper). I am a long term C# programmer with the majority of my professional work in the education and medical fields. My current employment has me creating cloud dictation and workflow enhancement services for medical providers to ensure they can see as many patients a day as possible.

I was drawn to this project because of my experience playing SOCOM II on the PlayStation 2. To date it is one of my favorite games of all time and it has shaped my views on how a competitive shooter should be. When I saw this project on the Unity forums I knew it was the perfect project for me.

I have been tasked with finishing up the UI and implementing all of the latest designs by Rev. So far I have created a new Log In scene that uses the latest designs created by Rev. Rev and I are working closely to ensure the UI is as clean and efficient as possible. In the future I will also be responsible for building the launcher that will be used prior to a Steam integration.

Check out more development updates in devblog #21 including, UI, HUD, crosshairs and maps at http://projectconfrontation.com/devblog-21/

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. everythingred

everythingred I once had fish tacos when I was drunk

Welcome to the team, Chris. Always good to get another Socom 2 player on the dev team ;) love the rankings and the new textures. UI is looking nice as well, very modern.

HarryDanglers and Eagle_F15 like this.
  3. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Cookie

Yes sir. Our new Dev Chris is working closely with Rev, so the UI area of development should roll around and look more polished as we go! Chris got to work asap as soon as he downloaded the colllab! Along with Aaron hooking up the game mode(demo) and ingame lobby to change/pick sides, between the three of them we should see some more progress in the up coming weeks to a month! Crossing my fingers! ;)

HarryDanglers and SkiMask like this.
  4. Bigfry

Bigfry Negative Nelly

I want to be playing Demolition on Geronimo by the end of June. Get it done *Snaps fingers*

Eagle_F15 and HarryDanglers like this.
  5. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Cookie

Haha! You and me both :) except I'm expecting it waaaay before June ;)

6. Fighting Phantom

Fighting Phantom Searching the Desert for a SOCOM Successor

I see Project Confrontation is still kicking.... glad to hear.

7. Bluerumm

Bluerumm Devil's Road

June wil Come""

8. PRE_-CISION-_

PRE_-CISION-_ Banned for jumping on the mattress

So what does someone gotta do to get into the project con alpha?

SkiMask and Bigfry like this.
  9. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz Pizza Shitposting CIO

You guys have been awfully quiet lately @Eagle_F15 . Just checking in and expressing continued interest. Hope all is still going well...

Eagle_F15 likes this.
  10. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Cookie

We are here and we will have an update by this Friday, thanks brotha!

11. everythingred

Are you guys still working on the same map? Or are you working on the next?

Eagle_F15 likes this.
  12. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Cookie

Same two maps...Foxhole and Geronimo.

W.I.P. Geronimo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

W.I.P. Foxhole...Ranger made a out house and some added cover...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. CoolDawg

CoolDawg #3l173m4573r

While i never really played Confrontation, this one is looking promising and the menu theme is just too powerful. All yalls need to do is match the intensity of that menu theme throughout the rest of the game and its a wrap.

Eagle_F15 likes this.
  14. everythingred

Foxhole is looking beautiful and I'm glad that there is progress on another map.

Eagle_F15 likes this.
  15. RaidenXS

RaidenXS Grenade Spammer

Where's devblog 22?

Eagle_F15 likes this.
  16. oni64

oni64 Third Person illusionist

I think Sourpatch is on hiatus. The project might be dead though.

Eagle_F15 likes this.
  17. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Cookie

No devblog anytime soon. Sour is around and developing under the radar. I see everything posted/tweeted and will relate what I see from the community. Like your devblog message...thanks for seeing what's up, its appreciated!

18. Bigfry

Bigfry Negative Nelly

Last I heard he had a meltdown on someone's stream.

JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz, oni64 and Eagle_F15 like this.
  19. Almericus

Almericus Navy SEAL

I wonder how this could be possible for this project to keep going. Let's see how it goes.

20. RaidenXS

RaidenXS Grenade Spammer

I meant there's a 22 on the site but not in the TRS forums.