Harry Patch r0005 - Daytime Map Vote

Discussion in 'SOCOM On XLink' started by Tawok, May 25, 2017.

?

Your Opinion of Map Time-of-Day Alterations

1. NO choice. Only originals

5.6%
  2. SOCOM 1 Daytime maps only (Aband, Rat's Nest)

22.2%
  3. Full Choice - Day and Night maps for all

61.1%
  4. Limited Choice - Vote on which maps will have day and/or night modes

5.6%
  5. Patches are stupid

5.6%
  1. Tawok

Tawok Not *That* Kinda Guy

There's a common issue mentioned whenever someone is comparing the merits of SOCOM 2 vs. it's predecessor, SOCOM 1. The switch of Abandoned and Rat's Nest Daytime to Nighttime is almost always brought up as one of the few negative changes from S1 to S2.

Recently, a community member @Harry62 has made a patch for SOCOM 2. It includes awesome shit like ranks, real clan tags, scripts to disable code9/wall sliding (in patched rooms). It also includes daytime versions of Abandoned, Shadow Falls, and Sandstorm. Maybe @Harry62 or @hexum can provide screenshots to give you guys a feel for it.

Long story short, I personally feel like the maps should be left as is, because I'm a purist and just want to patch to address the glitches/exploits/lacking clan tags. I know that I might be in the minority, so a little poll is in order to make the community's voice heard.

Long story short,

• No choice, only originals. Maintain SOCOM 2's purist vision. Don't change a thing.
    • SOCOM 1 Daytime - Only fix Aband and Rat's nest(rat's nest doesn't look too hot)
    • Full choice - Give us day and night time for every map that doesn't look like shit when changed
    • Limited choice - let's see the options and vote for what we want in as a community
    • Patches are stupid - this is a big waste of time

Original Patch Thread: http://community.therealsocom.com/threads/s2-r0005-patch-v0-4-release.7931/

Ditch and Drum like this.
  2. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

Patch is rather pointless IMO because unless it is 100% mandatory nobody will use it. Even if some of us wanted to use the patch we couldnt since some of us play on a PS3. If there was a way to force you to download the patch when you connected to Xlink like they did when the servers were live, the patch would be amazing.

As far as the maps go, I think the changes made by Harry are great. If he could make Shadow Falls a demo map and during the daytime, the map would be awesome and would be played alot. Rats nest had the ladder drop by T spawn filled in during S2 also which made it worse also, so Id suggest fixing that too.

Also, maybe with Harrys patch the HDD maps could be enabled? Maybe they are already, I am not sure. Either way the 2 of the 3 HDD maps are amazing and worth playing.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    eVo7 likes this.
  3. eVo7

eVo7 Vicious Provacateur

Agreed with Dizee, it will only segregate the community more. The only people that will use the patch are the ones who arent coding or wall sliding anyway and that is taken care of by playing with trusted people in a private room so for those two points i think the patch is pointless.

4. everythingred

everythingred I once had fish tacos when I was drunk

I voted to change Rat's Nest and Shadow Falls because they're unplayable in the dark, but in all honesty, the patch isn't easy to implement so nobody will have it (save 2-3 people) and nobody will play with it.

5. MR.BLONDE

MR.BLONDE HE STINKS AND I DON'T LIKE HIM

I'm all for every map that can be altered being changed, as long as the patch allows for both options. Not sure how you'd do that, though. I'd like to see Sandstorm with a bright sky for example. Hopefully the patch process can be simplified someday so that we can all have a good time with the changes.

WAR_PIG and Tawok like this.
  6. Harry62

Harry62 hacker

My current plan is to do it like this: http://i.imgur.com/piM4aci.jpg

Just have to test how the packets work to display map information.

oni64 likes this.
  7. Drum

Drum Get to da chobba!

I almost agree. I'd vote to leave all the maps (including the S2 versions of S1 maps) alone, but fix wall-slide, fire rate, etc. But I don't see an option for that in the poll. Should I select the "no choice" option?

8. Harry62

Harry62 hacker

You are welcome to make another poll for each option in the patch. Like this poll I'll include w/e the majority vote rules on assuming I can code in the winning option.

Drum likes this.
  9. meatloaf

meatloaf Butterstick

lets say everybody gets the patch,what about the new peeps that go threw all the hurdles to get xlink working to find out that they cant play because everyone in a patched room.

10. MR.BLONDE

Well, certain people have shown interest in distributing memory cards with FMCB on them, perhaps we'll need to update the xLink setup guide to include patch instructions, too.

11. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

Im torn. I tend to prefer night maps, so when thinking about Fish Hook or Crossroads at night, I would love to see that. But when I think about Rats Nest and Abandoned and Shadow Falls with a bright sun, I get a little purist. Sandstorm in the day is outright blasphemy.

I would be interested to see Death Trap at night too.

I know Im being a total princess here, but I wouldnt mind seeing Shadow Falls and Abandoned a little brighter, but not necessarily lit up by sun. Maybe more around dusk to lighten it up just a bit.

In general I have always thought dynamic time of day and weather that changed gradually each round would make a great gaming experience for all the maps. I envision starting Fish Hook at high noon in the bright sun and by round 6 its sunset and round 11 its midnight, or vice versa. Im not opposed to having the choice and I think its great work @Harry62 has done, but my worry, like others have said here, is that it will further fracture an already tiny community.

However, if TRS can field a group of 20+ guys who play on a regular basis we could play with the patch and have enough guys to fill a room.

Another map that might actually be good if it was at night is Guidance. In the daytime its about as interesting as Wolf Run. Open space with a hill in the middle. Brilliant. But at night, it might play a bit more tactically. They also should have put some kind of tunnel/sewer system on that map.

I digress......

12. Harry62

Harry62 hacker

I like the idea of the changing time for each round. The only issue I have there is the amount of code it takes to change the time of day for an individual round. Currently all of the maps are preserved in their original form. Most of the maps have alternatives to choose from when creating a game such as crossroads_night or just crossroads. Once the newest patch is working I'll release a test version.

Guidance doesn't work well in night mode. The light adjustment function goes crazy with that map and the snow ends up bright white and is straining on the eyes.

MR.BLONDE likes this.
  13. Tawok

Tawok Not *That* Kinda Guy

I think you might need a Patreon or something to put some wind in your sails for all your hard work. You deserve it man.

MACK IS GOD, eVo7 and MR.BLONDE like this.
  14. MR.BLONDE

Your comment on Guidance got me thinking...

I wouldn't suggest this as an actual gameplay change just yet, but would it be possible to remove the border that appears with the NVGs, and just have full first person with the NVG filter applied, like S3 and CA? I rarely use NVG in S2 because it drastically lowers your visibility, which is kind of the opposite of what it should do. It's pretty much only useful to me in Enowapi, or on Shadow Falls.

15. Harry62

Harry62 hacker

It's possible.

MR.BLONDE likes this.
  16. MACK IS GOD

Oh God I would never expect you to code for each round, lol. I meant if they ever make a new one for the new generation of consoles. What youve done with simply allowing for change of time between night and day is terrific, and I would love to try all of them out.

MR.BLONDE likes this.
  17. MACK IS GOD

To expand on that, maybe even make the night vision 3rd person ala Splinter Cell. Although that might be a bit OP.

18. Ditch

Ditch Requiem

A lot of shadow falls charm is because it's dark, starry sky, torches, fireflies etc, but I would love to play a day version of it,
    Same with after hours

Tawok and MR.BLONDE like this.
  19. MR.BLONDE

In retrospect, I remember reading on Gamewinners or somewhere that it was possible to glitch out the cameras and have NVG in third-person, but I feel like it was only in singleplayer.

Well, beat me to it. Also, goddamn, first time I've seen you change your avatar and it's that? That's just so... what's the word...

MACK IS GOD likes this.
  20. 1UP

1UP The BETTER Socom on PC Guy

It was a glitch kinda like full screen scope but it only worked on night maps for obvious reasons.