Pushing the switch to SVDL idea

Discussion in 'SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs' started by dizee, Jun 17, 2017 at 10:28 AM.

?

Good idea?

1. Count me in

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No this is dumb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dizee

dizee Crunchlord

Hey all,

I know alot of us are wanting to break in and hopefully switch to SVDL in the foreseeable future, atleast for community nights. So I have been thinking about ways to help out the process. I know tournaments have been talked about here before, but I feel this is a bit different.

I would like to see sometime this summer a TRS only 3s or 4s tournament to help kickoff SVDL. Think of a bracket like March Madness, best of 3 maps where the winner of 2/3 advances. Only TRS people involved in this so we dont get alot of the Xlink regulars who wall slide out of their asses etc. There would be no money involved, only pride and bragging rights to the victor. Plus it would be a great way to stress the SVDL servers and help out @Dominator94 too.

Of course we would have rules and I would like the TRS twitch and youtube to stream the whole thing to help promote it too. If its a success, maybe we could do another one down the road and open it up to everyone running @Harry62 patch.

What do you guys think? I think we can make this happen before summers over and I think it could really help out getting people to use SVDL. Once I get my PS3 back I plan on trying it out.

2. Harry62

Harry62 Computer Room Technician

You won't have to convince people to use SVDL. If it works better than xlink the community will switch over.

3. dizee

dizee Crunchlord

Then this would be a great way to show it works better.

4. eVo7

eVo7 Demolition Junkie

I'm only playing in a tournament if I can use M203's.

5. Focuzed

Focuzed iDub Scrub

I'm completely down.

6. MattyB

MattyB Green Up

I would be down as well.

7. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

Im in. I will test it on Nightstalker playing as a Terrorist.

Also, what the fuck is SVDL?

Focuzed likes this.
  8. dizee

dizee Crunchlord

SVDL is dominator's xlink like program that uses servers instead of peer2peer like xlink

http://socomlan.com/whatissvdl.php

I would like to see this happen before summer ends like I said so if more and more people want to do this, we need to make it happen. Good for both getting people to play S2 and stressing the svdl servers.

MACK IS GOD likes this.
  9. Focuzed

Focuzed iDub Scrub

Well, what do we need to do to get it going?

10. dizee

dizee Crunchlord

we need people to get svdl and then hop on it. i know tawok and evo have it, karim also maybe not sure about anyone else.

11. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

I'll download it and give it a shot. Just gotta get some people to agree on a time to test it out.

12. Focuzed

Focuzed iDub Scrub

Just purchased it myself. So we will only see others on it that are on the same SVDL? We won't see the Xlink guys right?

13. Tawok

Tawok The New Celerity

I could've swore @Dominator94 said we can play with the XLINK guys using SVDL

14. oni64

oni64 Third Person illusionist

I think streaming a good full room to demonstrate how well the lag and desync is compared to xlink.

15. A bit off topic, but add on feature of S.V.D.L that I did not talk about publicly.

One of the things with S.V.D.L there is also direct traffic routing option which could in the future make it so people do not need to have S.V.D.L running on their computer in the future. This can in power superusers to be able to setup a script on their router to forward traffic to S.V.D.L with open routing address/port as a example. This could open the option for third party scripts that could forward the traffic to S.V.D.L . This could also in power reverse engineering the game to connect to S.V.D.L directly without needing any client software anywhere.

Even with the endless possibilities above I do think the client software is still going to be the most common option to play SOCOM online (Over LAN) and the ease of use way to do so. I thinking of mobile app though for people that do decided to use the direct routing option as it will allow them to be connected with the people talking on S.V.D.L. As even with direct routing with the server S.V.D.L App could be good replacement for the missing server chat, friend list, clan list you had when the game was on-line since LAN doesn't have that.

You will only see people that are using S.V.D.L.

Think you thinking of Bradlink which was someone running XLink Kai and XBSLink together (Which cause it own set of problems doing so).

16. Focuzed

Focuzed iDub Scrub

Soooooo I got my svdl email, when we doing this bish up?

17. Focuzed

Focuzed iDub Scrub

So
    So tell me, what separates SVDL from regular servers that we used to connect to? Like I get this is another form of LAN tunneling but can this one be updated and add patches and stuff? Like stopping pussy wallsliders?

18. S.V.D.L can't do that in it own, but people all ways free use patch, or use homebrew patch. Right now there official patch which fixed wallsliders, but that not easy to get your hands on if you don't have it already and there Harry unofficial patch which is very easy to get if you can boot homebrew.

I do not believe we ever going to get everyone to be able to load the patch, or community made one as running PS2 homebrew on your PS2 is not really that simple.

The only easy way to get homebrew is sending a memory card to people with the patch which I not sure if everyone will be willing to receive memory card with it. I will think a auto update and ease of use needs to be implemented before doing that as it important people could use it with ease and have it updated with ease.

19. Focuzed

Focuzed iDub Scrub

So what are things we CAN do with this service? How will it benefit us? I was hoping the private servers were being reverse engineered but that project is on hold as of right now. But I'm sorry, that's not good enough. If Sony isn't going to give us what we want, we somehow, someway need to do it ourselves. I'm down to help with whatever. Server, money, testing, whatever. I just want it and tired of waiting for it.

20. SOCOM Virtual Dedicated LAN is made to allow people to play SOCOM with ease compare to XLink kai. It can't really do anything with in game improvements however. It possible in the future people could maybe play with just using homebrew on the PS2 without SVDL running on a computer. I do not know about actually playing it though on-line will be available any time soon, but I do believe S.V.D.L will make playing with people over LAN a lot easier than XLink kai and a lot more flawless.

Some issues S.V.D.L can solve room over lapping, join game error (Normally due to not being able to everyone since S.V.D.L everyone connect to SVDL there should be no issues like that).