TRS Forum Update: New Users

Discussion in 'Introductions, Info, Suggestions & Feedback' started by LUKENBACHER, May 28, 2015.

1. LUKENBACHER

LUKENBACHER (Retired) TRS Staff

We have rolled out a new update for our forums for newly registered users. In the past, once a new user verified their email they immediately had access to all that TRS has to offer. Unfortunately, this has also allowed spam bots to have a lot more freedom than they should. It also facilitates proxy users and trolls.

Today we have restricted thread creation. You must have at least 20 posts on this forum before your account is able to create a new thread. Once you hit the 20+ post threshold, please allow our forum software at least one hour before the user promotions are updated automatically.

This will put an end to spam bot threads, and it will force new users at TRS to mingle with the community for a short period of time before being able to create a podium for discussion. If you have any questions or notice any issues with this new system in place, please feel free to reach out to me directly or another TRS staff member. Cheers!

pec1468, VR-4-, SGP421 and 24 others like this.
  2. Swill

Swill Ninja SEAL

i-know-that-feel.jpg

Drum likes this.
  3. aremsoc26

aremsoc26 Strafe Artist

Thank god! This should of been implemented 2 logo's ago.

Bigfry likes this.
  4. ChemoFreak7

ChemoFreak7 Desert Glory

[​IMG]

/SS/ PEIPER likes this.
  5. XPSYCHOPATH410X

XPSYCHOPATH410X Breach Bandit

Just a ? what happens if said person registers and immediate starts trolling in threads? Will The Bear Jew immediately bash their fucking heads in with a bat?

6. LUKENBACHER

That will be dealt with as it occurs on a case by case basis. Let the staff worry about that one. There are other factors to consider not available to the public aside from just their posts.

7. K_M_A_R_T

K_M_A_R_T Strafe Artist

This is a very intelligent idea as we have recently had a slew of new members and old members coming back here(I wonder why lol) so those rules will stop people from only making a TRS account to come on here and try to get our attention with troll posts. The new member of the month is going to be @=Ronin= I can feel it

Bigfry and =Ronin= like this.
  8. LUKENBACHER

The trolls don't bother me near as much as the spam bots do. This will put an end to that as well.

But.... I have seen spam bots just make posts hidden within threads as well, so we will need everyone's help flagging these if some are missed by our staff. We have a pretty good group here that does that already so we should be just fine.

9. /SS/ PEIPER

/SS/ PEIPER Finisher

Glad to see this change.. I hope it cuts down on the BS for all. Cheers!!

10. aremsoc26

aremsoc26 Strafe Artist

Well it will def delay the BS Threads by 20 posts.

11. LUKENBACHER

I had to test this with two accounts. There is a period of time that you have to wait between posts before you can post another. Someone would have to invest about 30 minutes of their time just to make a new thread with a new account. They would also have to think of 20 legit posts that weren't obvious spam to hit the 20+ mark or they will stick out like a sore thumb. The time between posts can also be tuned to our liking.

I look forward to watching a troll have to exert so much time and energy to create a thread. It will require dedication. If that doesn't do it, well then we can look at another option. Your first 5 posts have to be approved by staff.

It is a shame it had to come to this, but our staff and software can handle it just fine. We will slowly make it more difficult for them until it's just not worth it, without sacrificing the inconvenience of being a member here.

12. aremsoc26

aremsoc26 Strafe Artist

From experience on other sites that have a post limit like this it does inconvenience/sometimes deter new members who want to join and make a legitimate thread.
    Just something to think about, I support any decision that is made to better control this site.

K_M_A_R_T likes this.
  13. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

HA! i think bigfry is going through that on "another site"

Bigfry and K_M_A_R_T like this.
  14. =Ronin=

=Ronin= The Captain of Makin' it Happen

Damn so close... 6 more posts until the My Pet Monster cuffs come off. I guess my thread polling people whether or not they scrunch or fold their toilet paper will have to wait.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  15. JayO

JayO Grim Reaper

About damn time. This was long coming. Good move though.

16. JayO

JayO Grim Reaper

Too risky to attempt. It'd just be an easy gateway for spammers to do their thing.

17. Bigfry

Bigfry Negative Nelly

Not anymore!
    Rosie posted and said that they are hiring a team of "Network Prediction Experts" to fix the Bullet Velocity Issue, and i responded with "lol" which had to go through a moderator. Perma ban :)
    On the plus side, Tom and Kevin are getting some Real world experience for their new game!
    [​IMG]

K_M_A_R_T likes this.
  18. aremsoc26

aremsoc26 Strafe Artist

Wait, is that serious? you got banned for "lol"? and your posts have to go through moderators?

Bigfry likes this.
  19. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

m5ox2 (1).jpg

Full Steam Ahead!

Drum, K_M_A_R_T and Bigfry like this.
  20. Bigfry

Bigfry Negative Nelly

I told off Paul a little while ago, and he hit me with a 5 day suspension, 15 day "Can't post at all" and a 30 day "Moderated Posts" so I just got off the 15 day, and was able to post, but everything was moderated. I LITERALLY typed lol, refreshed the page and was banned.

Buchanans and MACK IS GOD like this.