Twitch vs YouTube

Discussion in 'SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs' started by WESTC0AST, Jun 12, 2017.

?

Twitch vs YouTube

1. Twitch

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Youtube

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. WESTC0AST

WESTC0AST Butterstick

Just wonder what everyone think is better for live streaming Socom xlink games. I'm currently streaming Socom CA almost nightly. But not sure which is better. I personally prefer YouTube because it seems more mobile friendly.

2. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Tell ya what, add me if you wanna on Twitch (if you haven't already) and I'd host ya if you streamed to Twitch. Not like I have a legion or anything, but have at it man. You have my support homie. Feels like Twitch is better for gaming and only because it specializes in just that. Still like YT directory and SEO stuff, but SOCOM pulling you off the search radar and such is pretty fucking despicable and so I understand WHY a bunch fled the platform.

But Twitch don't have indexing for betas (GTS) so I hate it in that respect.

WESTC0AST likes this.
  3. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

Twitch is where you will reach more of an audience. Its more established. The good thing about Youtube is they off HD 60FPS to non partners right away. They have the ability to do that while twitch doesn't. So if quality is your thing, then YouTube would be better for a non-partner. If Community is your thing, then Twitch.

And to be real, you can't make SOCOM look great anyways. I think Community wins. I stream on youtube sometimes just for the automatic permanent storing of my broadcasts.

WESTC0AST likes this.
  4. Animal-_-

Animal-_- TRS Staff

From a non-streamer perspective it seems like community trumps quality every time. Go where you're going to get the best tools to build that community. Twitch chat and viewer options seem a lot more engaging than Youtube with Discord integration and so many other things like that I just can't list them all. Plus Twitch is so far ahead of every other service the exposure you can get there just seems like there's no other viable option.

5. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

Agree. Community is what gaming is all about. Especially now days since we are all interconnected.

It is good that YouTube is trying to compete, though. It only will make Twitch better as they compete back and forth.

WESTC0AST likes this.
  6. WESTC0AST

WESTC0AST Butterstick

Well it seems unanimous so far since the only YT vote was my initial vote. Thanks to all that commented I appreciate the help. I will continue to monitor this thread but I think it's pretty much answered already. Thanks again.

SkiMask likes this.
  7. RaidenXS

RaidenXS Demolition Junkie

I voted YT in that it's easier to use as a viewer. Even though Twitch is a gamer niche site, YT commands a larger user base. The offset is the larger content output as well. Your videos and channel will have a higher likelihood of being missed easier unless you're already established.

The Twitch app on the PS4 is broken and won't correctly display the users subscribed to unless they're online. On top of that, the PS4 app doesn't show saved/archived videos.

The YT PS4 app is minimal and does have the subscribed videos selectable via the sidebar. YT also automatically saves any stream from a PS4 into the archives. Down side is, i don't believe there is currently a setting to have them private upon ending the stream. I believe it's immediately public. One follow-up question you might want to ask viewers is how they receive your content. Not by site, but by device.

SkiMask and WESTC0AST like this.
  8. Bigfry

Bigfry Cancer-Free

In my experience, while the userbase is larger, a vast majority don't watch live content, regardless of platform.
    Twitch has a smaller base, but it is tailored to suit the live streaming environment, and Youtuber viewers are just not looking for that type of content in droves.

SkiMask, ChicKeN and Focuzed like this.
  9. Animal-_-

Animal-_- TRS Staff

Another thing to mention is, and you could confirm this more than I can, is the way YT has (from my limited understanding) messed with their creator's ability to monetize their content on that platform. Why would someone dedicate their streaming to YT if they're already being shafted on their video channel?

Bigfry likes this.
  10. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

I don't think somebody streaming SOCOM is worried too much in that regard but yes YT is absolutely abysmal in what they demonetize or outright remove now days. I'm not a huge fan of the layout and UI of twitch but part of me hopes they step up and take over where YT is ignoring it actual creators.

11. RaidenXS

RaidenXS Demolition Junkie

Those were automatic ads placed by YT so the creators wouldn't have to find their own adverts. Creators can still seek ads. They just have to do it on their own now.

12. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Got you added, I think. Thought I had you and Focuzed on the host list, but didn't. Let me know if I got the wrong account or whatever. Another thing about Twitch is that TRS hosts it here too and the last time I checked here while a live stream was being cast, the site was dramatically better than in the past. I really liked the integration and being already signed into both when checking threads. Still couldn't find a way to dismiss or eliminate it as the "little arrow" was a navigation tool and not a minimize button. Still, ran 10x better than it used to even a couple months ago.

Good job @WarMachine_v1 Been seeing some REAL improvements around here and they kinda like easter eggs some weeks. I look forward to when I find them.

And final thing about Twitch is I DO hate their navigation tools and how they sort of hide "followers" and "friends" and shit like that. I can't tell you how many times I would like to do something, but I am fumbling in their menus like a tard. Probably just me though.

WESTC0AST likes this.
  13. JayO

JayO Grim Reaper

I'm not a technical with live-streaming knowledge (I don't stream, nether post vid content) so I don't see alot of differences between youtube and twitch but I still think youtube's better. My most favorite milsim Arma 3 uploader Jester 814 (AWESOME content from him IMO!), just recently switched to twitch and only watched him stream maybe 2 times recently when I wanted to tune in. So far I don't like how cluttered twitch is verses youtube. I can understand if twitch is better for gamers but I havn't paid alot of attention to its design as of late. I just enjoy youtube's simplicity. Personally, I just see twitch as a temporary phase that will go out in maybe 2-3 years if even that since I don't see anyone talking and posting about Livestream or whatever that other streaming site it's called that was popular back in 2010-11. So I'll stick to youtube.

RaidenXS likes this.
  14. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

I can see that. Your not talking about Justin.tv are you? But yeah I thought a bit the same, but I do prefer Twitch sizing of their video window and chat, but yeah I am considering trying a mutli site to beam the shit and see what that is like. Same with Multitwitch for 8v8 mic'd up hotness. Still love that shit and would like to see it more. I mean, combining chats of multiple streamers is pretty fucking awesome.

Multitwitch seriously is the Ultimate Spectator seating for SOCOM.

15. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Only thing I can really say to that is it seems on the surface though (I have no Fin clue) that only the very elite are even making wooden nickels and not even on Spotify levels yet though.

Wasn't YT ripple more valuable in that respect? The consumption point seems spot on absolutely and the PS4 to public (without game title tagging, FUCK) is a double edged sword in that you can get PS4 viewers and Playstation Live exposure (Daily motion, PS4 Community, Twitch, YT) and for awhile I considered using the PS4 camera or the best I could (which I think they only have two Fin models) and using that to green screen and leverage the groups, but lacked motivation.

I think I still might though at some point just try it for funzies. Thought about doing a ceiling to floor view of my spot and doing some terry rigging of the audio inputs.

16. WESTC0AST

WESTC0AST Butterstick

so tomorrow will be 2 weeks since i started this thread.i still like YT much better.thanks SkiMask for the hosting on twitch.i found a perfect fix for this twitch vs YT issue. Restream.io simultaneously streams to both at the same time. and legato has the option for it too.

SkiMask likes this.
  17. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

I'm assuming you just went the custom IRL or whatever route? Like when you stream direct to FB? Just plug in the io restream coordinates? Simple enough it would seem. I sort of hate them both for various reasons. Seems like the barrier to entry for affiliation is pretty low at this point. Might be another plus to consider with all the ship jumping folks are doing with Youtube at the moment. Disappearing content from Twitch still has me concerned though. I guess upload them SOCOM streams after recording to Twitch is still something you have to do as well? Fucking annoying to no end.

Flip floppy I am.

18. SHUDRSKI

SHUDRSKI Butterstick

Being a youtube partner, I feel like YT is way to go, having said that, twitch seems to work fine as well. Issue I have with Twitch is I've set my options to store my broadcast after completion, but it has yet to work.

I know not everyone is a YT partner, even prior to being a partner, as stated in quote, it does save your broadcasts, and 60fps. Well worth it