UE4 Map - Blood Trail

Discussion in 'SOCOM Indie Projects' started by Harry62, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Harry62

Harry62 hacker

Started a new map recently.

Mode(s): Extraction, Elimination

Info:
    - Extraction point is the coast line near the SEAL spawn.
    - Most map lighting is pre-rendered much like Black Vein.
    - 200fps on average. Not sure if 200 is a locked value.
    - Several props used from Black Vein and Downpour.
    - Half of the map is along the coast and the other half is in the mountain.
    - ~28 seconds from each team's spawn(shortest route). Black Vein is roughly 18-20 seconds while Downpour is 60+ seconds.
    - Overhead image shows the coast tinted blue and the tunnels tinted yellow.

old: https://imgur.com/a/2RliQ
    new: https://imgur.com/a/ysbp1

Video:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Flames and oni64 like this.
  2. oni64

oni64 Third Person illusionist

I like it. Has a dark forest left 4 dead feel meets death trap vibe.

3. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

I love the look of the exterior.

You said the lighting is "pre-rendered", I don't know what that means but I did think the interior in the tunnels was too well lit. If thats where the terrorists would be keeping the hostages I think it shouldnt be so bright, and the open areas inside seemed very large, almost like a gladiator arena. I think the map would be well served by darkening the interior and maybe having more stuff inside that cuts off sightlines.

I really like the layout though and those are just minor issues on my end. Overall I think it looks great.

Its no Wolf Run though. Wolf Run is the pinnacle of maps.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  4. Ditch

Ditch Requiem

Can’t forget about sismis either,
    Your map looks good, but your missing some stacks of mattresses in the hallways, to break up sight lines ;)

JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz and MACK IS GOD like this.
  5. Swill

Swill Killjoy

Looks better than H-Hour lol.

On a serious note, this map gives me some serious Shadow Falls triggers........

Look great man, nice work.

6. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

Don't forget to add garlic above the doors, Russ adding those made sismis the best map ever

7. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

As a bonus for Kickstarter backers who donated more than $1,000 they gave you a copy of the first draft of Wolf Run. Its amazing to look at how intricate and well crafted Wolf Run is. You can see they had ambitious goals from the very start when you look at the first draft. I'm glad they held true to Russ' original vision.

wolf run first draft.png

The man is truly a creative genius.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Almericus and Swill like this.
  8. Almericus

Almericus Bullshit proof warrior

LOLL. Yeah the map was pretty barebone when it came out. He did touched it a few times and made it better with better ground leveling, more props to hide behind like cars and trains, underground tunnels etc.
    Honestly the map is good now.

On Blood trail now, Harry62, I get a Blood lake type of feel probably because of the fact you nailed down the atmosphere nicely on the exterior! I like the lack of visibily with the fog and darkness. I like the ground leveling and groundscape.
    This map will be extraction right? where will be the extraction point? Have any plans to add some sniper huts/towers? There is climbing now!

Too bad I didn't had the chance to test your Downpour map on H-Hour back in a day because I was taking a break from it. Have any plans to update it for their last build?

Good job man!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  9. Harry62

Harry62 hacker

I may add a watch tower but probably not. I'm terrible at 3D modeling which is why my newer maps never have buildings.

Extraction point is the coastline near the broken pier when the player spawns in in the video. I want to add a boat in that area so the extraction and seal spawn make sense but I can't model one or find a decent looking model online that is free.

Downpour is too big and would need to be re-worked. As of now it usually turns in to a 1v2 where the remaining players are trying to find each other on a map that takes 3 minutes to circle. Plus I don't think many of the players liked that map.

10. Almericus

Almericus Bullshit proof warrior

Here's a bunch of free ones for the watch tower that does not look too bad;
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=relevance/query=watch&tower&price:0-0

also for the boat;
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=relevance/query=boat&price:0-0

I hope this helps!

11. Harry62

Harry62 hacker

New images: https://imgur.com/a/ysbp1

Main changes include:
    - added 2 watch towers
    - walled off the sight line from several points in the terrorist spawn

XtErmin8 and oni64 like this.