XLINK Guide Updated for 2017

Discussion in 'SOCOM On XLink For The PS2' started by Tawok, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Tawok

Tawok The New Celerity

1: Register at http://www.teamxlink.co.uk

2: click downloads, and download the version corresponding to your Operating System.

3: Verify your email from XLINK.

4: Load up SOCOM 2 and go to LAN.

5: Create a new network configuration and title it something obvious. I go with "XLINK".

6: Follow the process using automatic settings for every step.

7: Run Kai on your PC.

8: On the top of the Kai interface, click "Game Arenas"

9: Find your SOCOM on the left hand side in the list. Use NTSC.

10: Turn on your PS2 and log into LAN. All the way, until you've entered your name and you see the server browser.

11: Verify your PS2 is visible to XLINK. On the top of the XLINK browser, click Metrics. Near the bottom of the metrics, it will list "Found Consoles". If you're ready to roll, it'll show your PS2.

Common troubleshooting:

1. Bypass your firewall/Windows Defender/antivirus.

2. Your firewall ports are screwed. Go into XLINK config and enter port 0.

3. Run wireless and you still can't connect? You may need to bridge.

The next steps are different if you're wired or wireless. If you're wired, you can skip to X:XX in the video

Wireless:
    1. Plug in your ethernet cable to the Laptop/PC and the PS2
    2. Go to 'Network'
    3. Select 'Network and Sharing Center'
    4. Select 'Manage network connections'
    5. You will see your wifi connection and a Local Area Connection, highlight them both
    6. After highlighting, right click them and select 'Bridge'

4. Any other issues? Just post and we're happy to help. See you soon!

Link to Combined Assault DLC maps install and discussion thread: http://community.therealsocom.com/threads/download-here-socom-combined-assault-map-packs.3261/

Bluerumm, rev and Animal-_- like this.
  2. everythingred

everythingred I once had fish tacos when I was drunk

My XLink still won't work on Windows 10 Wifi. Can anyone help?

3. oni64

oni64 Warped Intoxicator

Maybe you need to allow xlink on the firewall, or maybe bridge the connection if all else fails.

4. everythingred

everythingred I once had fish tacos when I was drunk

I did all of that. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I see that people connect their PS2 to their computer afterwards. Before when I was running a wired connection I just had it connected to my modem router.

5. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Thanks for pointing that out. The setup guide is still a bit in progress and is designed for the largest audience. We are in the process of adding that, actually. Right @Tawok? Also I need to talk with @WarMachine_v1 still about another step. Stay tuned.

Two configs and the only two ways to successfully connect to XLink I'm aware of:

1)PS2 hardwired to Router via ethernet
    Computer hardwired to Router via ethernet
    Run Kai

2)PS2 hardwired to Computer via ethernet
    Computer wirelessly connected to Router
    Run Kai

That's it. there is a couple scenarios outside this that you could potentially fall into, but the above is what is required. Side note, the "Hard/Hard" is considered the best and only way to do Game Battles.

And yes, I can help you. Just after dinner. Send me a PM if you still can't get it after trying the above. I suspect you might be hardwired and wireless, but separately. That cannot work. It may also require a "bridge" like they said and I can help with that too.

If you don't know, you click on your LAN adapter and your wireless adapter while holding down shift (to select both) and right click and "add to bridge". In Win7 its located in "change adapter" settings in "Network and Sharing Center" where it displays all your connections. In Windows 10? Not sure. Search it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  6. Shimmy

Shimmy Green Up

Tawok and gang - you guys are the. fucking. best. I've been dying to play a game as addicting as SOCOM for a decade now, and nothing has come close. Not even the 20 versions of Call of Duty they tried to stuff down our throats.

I'm working on getting the whole ps2 bundle and accessories again to play this beautiful game.

7. Skyline

Skyline Green Up

Damn excited to get back on Socom II. Shimmy brought me over and after reading I bought everything necessary. I'm sure we'll all run across each other at some point, but thanks for getting together the guide.

That damn login screen for the network brought back so many memories alone. Spent hours trying to figure out how to get the PS2 online with the router being the only other way was direct modem connection. Took me hours to test the "no login required," which of course is what worked.

Tawok, Swill and Animal-_- like this.
  8. Swill

Swill Navy SEAL

Welcome to the site Shimmy, and hopefully we can see you on playing with us soon!

9. Swill

Swill Navy SEAL

Welcome Skyline!

10. Skyline

Skyline Green Up

Didn't want to make a new thread, so hopefully it's okay to just ask in this. For headsets, does any USB work with the PS2? I can't remember if the system was as anal as the current PS4's and XB1's are these days. For some reason I want to believe any USB headset would work, but I don't want to be wrong either.

Anyone happen to know? And does it need to be 'okay' with the Xlink? Or is that just more of a server than anything?

11. Animal-_-

Animal-_- TRS Staff

Only headsets that are USB 1.0 compatible will work. Many newer ones don't support that anymore so be sure to check before you buy.

Skyline likes this.
  12. The game uses a driver provided by Logitech. Mainly just go for headsets that say PS2 compatible.. There some new Logitech headsets that work for the PS2, but know the models off hand so will just go with ones mark as being PS2 compatible.

Skyline likes this.
  13. Skyline

Skyline Green Up

Wanted to confirm something before the PS2 comes in. With the hardwire, do BOTH the laptop and PS2 need to be plugged into the router? Or can I have the PS2 plugged into the router, while having the laptop on wireless? Wasn't sure if they both had to be plugged in or not.

SkiMask likes this.
  14. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

You have two choices and only these two:

First:
    Computer hardwired to Router
    PS2 hardwired to Router

Second:
    Computer wireless to Router
    PS2 hardwired to Computer

In either case make sure you know the lengths of the Cat5,6 or 7 you'll need for the job. In my case, I use the 2nd option and only needed 3' of Ethernet cord versus the First option where I would need two cat5's and one that was 25' and maybe one that was 10'? BUT do know that hardwired is the best option or at least what everyone claims.

Hope that helped and feel free to PM me or re-post with more questions. We're here for you.

Skyline likes this.
  15. Skyline

Skyline Green Up

Perfect. That answered what I needed. I assume the all wired gives a better connection, but I live in an apartment so I think I'll be okay with the wireless laptop connection.

SkiMask likes this.
  16. dizee

dizee Night Stalker

I have never tried wireless but wired is fine lagwise. Sometime xlink adds to S2s already laggy gameplay but nothing we can do about that, atleast we can still play.

Skyline and SkiMask like this.
  17. Advent

Advent Green Up

Hello Guys,

xAdv3nTx- here, ( socom confrontation) i used to play herr with Advent alike 2 years ago. Now i want to play agian but for some reason my xlink doesn t work on my laptop.
    On one laptop xlink kai opens but i can t login, it doesnt login with out any error or somethingh. And on the other laptop xlink kai doesnt start and open at all. I tried everything and read al forums but u couldnt find a solution. I was hoping there is someone who could help me out. Perhaps give me his skype or anything and watch teamviewer with me. Thanks.

18. WESTC0AST

WESTC0AST Green Up

Did you update Xlink to the lates version. Are you running Xlink in compatibility mode (windows xp service pack 2) are you running Xlink in administrator mode?

19. Advent

Advent Green Up

Yes.. All of them.. You could watch with me with teamviewer if you want..

20. Tawok

Tawok The New Celerity

This might sound obvious, but have you tried a fresh install?